When there’s extra pressure on the veins or blood vessels, the blood will pool and the veins will bulge. This condition is known as varicose veins or spider veins. It happens when the vein becomes weak, or doesn’t function properly.
The blood in the veins is blocked from flowing backwards by their one-way valves. However, if these valves fail in their work, blood will start accumulating in the vein, instead of continuing toward the heart.
Legs are the most affected part in our body by varicose veins. The reason is because they are located furthest from the heart, so the it is harder for blood to flow upwards because of the gravity.
Several potential causes for varicose veins include:
- Being in a standing position for long periods of time
- Hormone imbalance
Fortunately, there are some completely natural remedies to treat your varicose veins effectively.
Top Foods For Treating Varicose Veins
The following foods can help you decrease the appearance of spider veins:
- Flax and Chia Seeds. These seeds provide omega-3 fats and fiber that can help lower the stress on the veins.
- High fiber foods. This type of food will help you relieve constipation which can lead to extra pressure on the vein. The recommended dosage is 30 to 40 grams of fiber a day.
- Raspberries and Blueberries. They offer flavonoids which provide additional strength to the veins.
- Vitamin E. Enhances circulation and helps prevent blood clots. Foods rich with this vitamin include green leafy vegetables, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
- Cayenne pepper. This plant is rich in capsaicin which enhances the circulation.
Foods That Cause Appearance Of Varicose Veins
- Sugar. It causes inflammation and weight gain.
- Trans fats. They increase inflammation and worsen circulation.
- Caffeine. It leads to dehydration and can worsen spider veins.
- Refined and processed foods. Not only that these foods have little to almost no nutritional value, they can as well increase the levels of toxins in the body, thus worsening the condition of spider veins.
- Alcohol. It can cause dehydration and inflammation.
Top 5 Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins
1. Butcher’s broom– 200 mg a day of butcher’s broom can lower the inflammation in the veins.
2. Horse chestnut– 100 mg a day of horse chestnut can strengthen veins and lower swelling.
3. Vitamin E (400 IU daily)- 400 IU a day of this vitamin functions as a natural blood thinner.
4. Grape seed extract– 200 mg a day of grape seed extract can help strengthen the walls of the veins.
5. Bilberry (160 mg 2x daily)- Consuming 160 mg of bilberry twice a day, can improve circulation.
Extra Remedy– Apple Cider Vinegar and witch hazel combination, applied topically, can lower the appearance of spider veins.
Essential Oils For Varicose Veins
One of the most effective natural treatments for lowering the appearance of varicose veins is the cypress essential oil. Cypress can support the circulatory system and enhance circulation. Rub five drops of this essential oil on the affected area twice a day.